This Indian Engineering Services (IES) or Engineering Services Examination (ESE) includes such engineers who work under the Government of India and are designated as a class-one officer.
It manages a large part of the public sector economy, which constitutes the Indian Railways, Electricity, Telecom, Defense Services of Engineers, Central Water Engineering, Central Engineering Services.
The nature of work done by these bureaucrats depends to a large extent on their engineering branch and from whom they are recruited in service or cadre. His career progression also easily gained high honors.
This is the first position offered by Assist. The Executive Engineer and Hierarchy are terminated at the post of Chairman / Managing Director. All the candidates can see the information of exam date, exam pattern, vacancy, etc. in this article.
IES Exam Highlights
|IES 2021 Exam Highlights|
|Exam Name||Indian Engineering Services/ Engineering Services Examination|
|Conducting Authority||Union Public Service Commission|
|Mode of Test||Offline|
|Frequency||Once a year|
|Expected number of registration||Approx 2 lakhs|
What is IES Exam?
About IES Exam: UPSC conducts the IES, every year. this will be the doorway exam for engineering candidates of technical graduates to serve under the government of India.
UPSC ESE consists of assorted sectors like Railroad, telecommunications, structure, Powers, etc. UPSC ESE exam consists of 5 tests conducted in three-stages by the UPSC for recruiting IES personnel. UPSC has released an entire of 495 vacancies for the year 2021.
UPSC IES is conducted by the Unions Public Service Commission of India and it is a National level exam. The headquarters of UPSC is found at Dholpur House, Shahjahan Rd, Pandora Rd, New Delhi-110003.
Courses Offered: IES examination is conducted to recruit aspiring candidates into engineering positions of varied departments. Major departments of engineering involved are engineering, engineering, the field of study, Electronics, and Telecommunication Engineering.
Recruitment is finished for Group-A and Group-B technical posts. Recruitment has three stages. exam, Mains Exam, mental test. The examination is being conducted in two parts of the written exams.
IES 2021 Exam Dates
It is important for the aspirants to write the UPSC IES 2021 exam to thoroughly search for the important dates. The starting date for filling the application form for UPSC IES will start from April 7, 2021, and the last date to apply is on April 27, 2021.
Its prelims exam is scheduled to be held on 8 July 2021 and the result can be published temporarily in the month of Sep 2021. Bata Du’s Mains exam will be conducted in two shifts (9 AM to 12.00 PM and 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM). Candidates can refer to the table below for UPSC IES 2021 exam dates.
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Notification Release||April 07, 2021|
|Availability of UPSC IES 2021 Application Form||April 7, 2021, to April 27, 2021|
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Prelims Admit Card Release Date||To Be Announced|
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Exam Date (Prelims)||July 8, 2021|
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Prelims Results||Sep 2021|
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Mains Admit Card||To Be Announced|
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Exam Date (Mains)||To Be Announced|
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Mains Exam Result||Dec 2021|
IES 2021 Recruitment
All the candidates are required to qualify for all three stages of the UPSC IES 2021 exam. There is a preliminary examination, a men’s exam, and a personality test. These three tests/stages will be qualified in nature. Recruitment is done for the following categories for Group A / B posts:
Category I – Civil Engineering
Category II – Mechanical Engineering
Category III – Electrical Engineering
Category IV – Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering
IES 2021 Vacancy
According to the official notification issued by the UPSC, the total number of vacancies is 495. These vacancies include 21 vacancies for Persons with Disabilities (PwD). The breakdown of seats under this PwD category is as follows:
For Low Vision Candidates – 03
For locomotor disability including leprosy, leprosy, acid attack victims, and muscular dystrophy – 11
For Hard Hearing Candidates – 07
IES 2021 Eligibility Criteria
Before the registered candidate for this examination of Ta Du, he/she must fulfill all the eligibility criteria for the examination. These eligibility criteria include nationality, age limit, age relaxation, educational qualification, and many more. The whole of them are discussed below:
- Citizen of India or
- Be the subject of Nepal / Bhutan or
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, intends to settle in India
- The person is of Indian origin, who has come to India from Ethiopia, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Kenya, Uganda, Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, or Vietnam, intending to settle permanently in India.
The age of the candidate applying must be 21 years, but the age of 30 must not be attained till January 1, 2021. In other words, he should not be born before January 2, 1991, and not later than January. 1, 2000.
There will also be a relaxation of some specified years in the upper age limit for the candidates given below:
|Candidates who have been domiciled in Jammu And Kashmir from Jan 1, 1980, to Dec 31, 1989||5 year|
|Disabled Defences Services personnel who have becomes disabled in hostilities with any foreign country or a disturbed area||3 year|
|A person with benchmark disability (low visibility, deaf, hard of hearing, Locomotor Disability including Leprosy cured, Dwarfism, Acid Attack victims, and Muscular Dystrophy)||Up to a maximum of 10 year|
For a candidate to fulfill the eligibility criteria for this UPSC IES exam, he/she is required to fulfill the following criteria:
- Must have passed sections A and B of Institution Exam of Institution of Engineers, India. or
- Obtained a degree/diploma in engineering from a foreign university/college/institute which must be recognized by the government. or
- Have passed the Graduate Membership Examination of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers, India. or
- Must have passed Part II and III / Section A and B of Associate Membership Examination of Aeronautical Society of India. or
- It is to pass the Graduate Membership Examination of the Institute of London, in Electronics and Radio Engineers, from November 1959 onwards.
IES 2021 Application Process
The Candidates aspiring to write the UPSC IES exams must complete the application process before the last dates. The Application was started on 7 April 2021, and the last date to fills the form was on 27 April 2021, tentatively. The Candidates can be following the steps by steps procedure to apply for the UPSC IES 2021 as given below:
- All the candidates must visit the official website of UPSC i.e. www.upsconline.nic.in.
- After reaching the homepage of this official website, you have to click on the option of “Online application for various UPSC exams” notification.
- After clicking on it, the candidate is directed to a page containing an application form by UPSC IES. Then the form has to be filled in 2 parts. This will be for the registration of a Part-I candidate. Whereas, Part-II is meant to fill in detailed information about itself. The form is available in English and Hindi.
- For the first-time applicants, you have to fill Part-1. Candidates have to fill in their details like name, parents name, email id, mobile number, gender, category, etc., then-candidate registration id will be generated. You need to note it down and keep it safe.
- Then in the next step, the candidates are required to continue the process of filling the application. You have to click on Part-II to fill the form. You have to log in with your “Registration ID” and enter your “Date of Birth” as the password.
- Then in the next step, you need to fill in all the details and upload your photo and signature image files no more than 300 KB and 20 KB respectively.
- In this, the last step of the completion of the application process is to pay the fees. All the candidates are required to pay the fee to complete the application form.
- Then, the application form is completed and you need to take a printout of the same for future references.
UPSC IES 2021 Application Form
All the candidates should ensure that at the time of filling this UPSC IES application form, they must have all the necessary documents.
Also Read: UPSC Civils services prelims exam 2021: Amit card, Result, Exam pattern, syllabus
And all the candidates have to ensure that they upload according to the correct specifications of the documents prescribed by UPSC IES. You can see and read the detailed list of documents and application forms below.
Documents required to fill the UPSC IES application form
- Government Identity card such as
- Aadhar card
- Driving License
- Voter ID card
- PAN card
- Scanned photograph
- Scanned signature
- Caste certificate
- Certificate of disability
- Certificate to prove minority
UPSC IES 2020-21 Application Fees
The application fees for all the categories are mentioned below.
Document Specifications for UPSC IES application form
The Candidates must ensure that they uploaded the correct size & format of the relevant doc as shown in the table below.
|Scanned Photograph||20 KB -300 KB||JPG only|
|Scanned Signature||JPG only|
|Scanned ID proof||PDF only|
IES 2021 Exam Pattern
This UPSC IES exam is conducted in two stages: Preliminary Exam and Mains Exam. Both these exams will be conducted in offline mode. This is the same for all categories, UPSC IES exam pattern.
UPSC IES Prelims Exam Pattern
Its preliminary examination is conducted offline which is conducted in pen and copy which consists of Paper-I and Paper-II. This paper-I is of 200 marks and this paper-II will be of 300 marks.
Paper-I consists of questions based on general studies and engineering aptitude. This paper-II tests the knowledge of the candidate of core engineering field (in civil/mechanical/electrical / electronics and telecommunication engineering). Its special point is that for every wrong answer, 1/3 mark is deducted.
|Paper||Testing Area||Marks||Time Allotted|
|Paper-I||Generals Studies And Engineering Aptitude||200||2 hrs (120 minutes)|
|Paper-II||Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering||300||3 hrs (180 minutes)|
IES Mains Exam Pattern
Paper-I and Paper-II are also included in the main examination of Batu, which are traditional types of paper in each type of 300 marks cancel. The time allotted for completing both the letters here is only 3 hours each.
No negative marking is added to the UPSC IES Mains 2021 exam. There will be only eight questions, out of which it is mandatory for all the candidates to solve at least five questions in order to pass.
|Paper||Testing Area||Max Marks||Time Allotted|
|Paper-I||Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering||300||3 hrs (180 minutes)|
|Paper-II||Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering||300||3 hrs (180 minutes)|
|Total||–||600||6 hrs (360 minutes)|
IES 2021 Syllabus
For Preliminary Exam Paper-I
This prelims exam consists of 2 papers. This paper-I consists of questions related to general studies and engineering qualifications (specific to the engineering discipline selected by the candidate). In this paper, questions are asked about the following topics:
- There are current issues of national and international importance related to this social, economic and industrial development.
- There are engineering aptitudes covering this logical reasoning and analytical capability.
- The Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis.
- The Generals Principle of Designs And Drawing, Importance of Safety.
- The Standards and Quality’s practices in productions, constructions, maintenances & services.
- The Basics of Energy& Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution, And degradation, Climate Changed, And Environmental impact assessments.
- The Basics of Projects Managements.
- The Basics of Materials Science & Engineering.
- The full Information & Communication Technologies (ICT) based tool & their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance, and technology-based educations.
- Ethics & values in the Engineering professions.
For the Prelims Exam Paper-II and Mains Exam (Paper-I and Paper-II)
Along with Paper-II (both Paper-I and Paper-II) of the Prelims and Mains Exam, the questions asked are based on the core subjects of engineering.
Candidates belonging to related fields can be tested only in their relevant core subjects. A detailed syllabus for this UPSC IES is further mentioned in detail for all categories.
UPSC IES 2021 Exam Centres
The UPSC IES 2020-21 examination will be conducted in 2 phases: The Prelims & Mains. The exams centers will be different for both phases. The Candidates can choose the test center city at the time of filling the UPSC IES 2020-21 applications form.
IES Prelims Exam Centres
The exam centers for IES 2021 Prelims examination are given below.
|IES 2021 Prelims Exam Centre|
IES Mains 2021 Exam Centres
The examination centers for UPSC IES 2020-21 Mains exam are given below.
|UPSC IES 2020-21 Mains Exam Centres|
Steps to change IES 2021 Mains Exam Centre
Step 1. First, the candidates have to visit the official website of UPSC- www.upsconline.nic.in
Step 2. Then go to the exam link and click on the “Online Request for Online Examination Changes” option
Step 3. Now, choose the “Engineering Services Main” line from the given options. “Then to change the exam center” click on the link given under the given column
Step 4. A few seconds later, an instruction page is opened where candidates have to read the instructions and click on the “Yes” box.
Step 5. Then all the candidates have to login with their UPSC IES 2021 exam roll number and enter the captcha image.
Step 6. A registered password comes on this registered mobile number and email id. Then you must enter the OTP, and then proceed
Step 7. The Candidates can now change the UPSC IES 2020-21 main examination centers at their convenience & press submits.
IES 2021 Admit Card
The UPSC IES Mains 2021 exam admit card release date will be released soon. All the candidates can download the admit card from the official website of UPSC. The admit card for this prelims exam will be released in the second week of June 2021. (Admit card is issued 2 weeks before the exam).
If a candidate is not aware of receiving his e-admit card later than the date of issuance or on If there is any change in the details given in the e-Admit Card, then the candidate will be required to inform the UPSC immediately.
To download this UPSC IES 2021 admit card, all the candidates are required to submit their application number, date of birth & security captcha.
How to download UPSC IES 2021 Admit Card?
The step-by-step process to download the UPSC IES 2021 admit card is given below:
- Step 1: First of all, the candidates have to visit the official website of UPSC.
- Step 2: Now, on the homepage of the website, click on “Examination” and scroll down to “Active Examination”. Click on the link to download the admit card
- Step 3: All candidates are required to enter their details by providing a registration ID or roll number. Now, after choosing the two given options, they have to be entered along with the date of birth and captcha.
- Step 4: Now, the admit card of the UPSC IES 2021 exam will appear on the display. I advise all the candidates to carefully read and view the details of the e-admit card.
- Step 5: Now in the final stage, the candidate should download the printout of the admit card for future use.
IES 2021 Result
This UPSC IES result is updated after release by the authority. After declaring the result for this Mains Exam, an applicant is required to fill a DAF (Detailed Application Form), in which he will be required to upload the scanned documents.
At the time of the proficiency test, you are required to produce the original. Call letters for proficiency examinations are also issued electronically to candidates.
The dates for this UPSC IES result are updated when the official notification for the same is issued. The result of this UPSC IES Mains 2021 will be released after the examination is conducted.
UPSC IES 2021 Paper Analysis
The IES 2020-21 Paper Analysis for the Prelims exams is given below:
Prelims Paper 1 Exam Analysis
- Paper 1 is conducted from 10 AM to 12 PM.
- Este artículo contiene 100 preguntas en 200 puntos.
- The difficulty level of the examination Is easy to moderate.
- The Questions related to Engineering Drawing & Ethics were less this year as compared to lasts year’s.
- The Questions from Generals Principles of Designed, Drawings, Importance of Safety, ICT, and Ethics was more in numbers this year as compared to last year.
- The Question Paper consisted of 20% of questions from Standard Quality & Engineering Maths.
|The Current Issues of National & International Importance relating to Social, Economic and Industrial Developments||Easy|
|Engineering Aptitude covering Logical Reasoning & Analytical Ability||Easy|
|Engineering Mathematics &Numerical Analysis||Moderate|
|The General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety||Moderate|
|Standards & Quality Practices in Production, Construction, Maintenance, & Services||Difficult|
|The Basics of Energy & Environment, Conservation, Environmental Pollution And Degradation, Climate Change, Environmental Impact Assessment.||Moderate|
|Basics of Project Management||Moderate|
|Basics of Material Science & Engineering||Moderate|
|Information & Communication Technologies based tools & their applications in Engineering such as networking, E-governance, & Technology-based Education||Easy|
|The Ethics & Values in the Engineering Professions||Moderate|
Prelims Paper 2 Exam Analysis
- The Prelims Paper 2 examination is conducted from 1 PM to 5 PM.
- Paper 2 consisted of Engineering domain questions, 150 questions of a total of 300 marks.
Después de aprobar estos exámenes preliminares prueba 1 y prueba 2, los candidatos tendrán la oportunidad de presentarse al examen principal. Al aprobar el examen principal, el candidato puede presentarse a la entrevista.
Para aprobar este examen preliminar, el candidato debe resolver entre 35 y 40 preguntas.
UPSC IES Contact Details
Address: Union Public Service Commission
Shahjahan Road, New Delhi – 110069
Official Website: www.upsc.gov.in
Phone Number: 011-23098543